Thursday, April 19, 2007

Virginia Tech Shooting

Cho Seung-Hui, a name we won't soon forget. A young man that did something neither you nor I would ever consider doing to our fellow man.

I just watched a video about the shootings and the reporter said that Cho would constantly listen to the song “Shine” by Collective Soul over and over again but they didn’t know what the significance of it was. So out of curiosity I went in search of the lyrics and I will include them at the end of this post.

What do I think? I think that Cho wanted what every single person on this earth wants. I can sum it up in two, three word sentences. I don’t care how rich you are, how smart you are or how important you think you are, without these two things our soul shrivels up and dies. These two things are: “To be happy”. “To be loved”. But he didn’t know how to get there for the dark place he had allowed himself to be sucked into, an abyss of darkness, sadness and anger. He didn’t know how to reach out and no one seemed to be able to reach in to save him. And so in his mind, we became villains. In his mind, we failed him. It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure this out.. sometimes we need to stop thinking with our brains and listen to our hearts.

“more than a year before Monday's mass shootings — a district court in Montgomery County, Va., ruled that Cho presented "an imminent danger to self or others." By NED POTTER and DAVID SCHOETZ

And then they let him go? Huh?

What is wrong with our society? All the warning signs were there, Cho desperately needed help and did he get it? No. Here we have a young man who is giving us warning sign after warning sign and we let him go. Perhaps we need to stand back and reevaluate how we look after each other? Especially those with obvious psychological disorders.

So my questions are this… have we reached a point in our society where we can’t be bothered to help those who need it? Is it too much work, so we let them go? Are we failing our fellow man?

My deepest, heartfelt sympathies go out to the families of those that were lost. I hope that this occurrence will make “the powers that be” stand back and rethink the treatment of those in need.

SHINE

How long has it been now,
Since I called you by name?
Since I felt your presence
In the midst of all my pain?

How long has it been now,
that I tried it all my own way
I need to be broken
So I look to you and say...

Make me shine
(Rekindle the flame within my soul)
Renew my love for you,
For you are the only one
That can make me shine
(Like the sun)
Rekindle the flame within my soul
Make me shine

You long to save me
You're the author of my life
But without you or Jesus,
I am not alive!

Make me shine
(Rekindle the flame within my soul)
Renew my love for you,
For you are the only one
That can make me shine
Make me shine...
Make me shine!

Make me shine..
Make me shine!
Like the sun.

Renew my love for you,
For you are the only one
That can make me shine
(Rekindle the flame within my soul)
Renew my love for you
For you are the only one
That can make me shine
Make me shine
(Rekindle the flame within my soul, make me shine)
Make me shine...

Rekindle the flame within my soul...

No comments: