Friday, May 11, 2007

Sarah

I first met Sarah 3 years ago after I returned from maternity leave after having my son. She was 26 when I met her. She was young, vibrant and full of life. I loved working with her. I didn’t get to work with her for very long because I was pregnant again with twins. But for several months I so enjoyed her company. She was a very interesting person, she was a vegan so she consumed no animal products whatsoever, including dairy. She was athletic, a picture of perfect health… or so we all thought. Shortly after I left work to have the twins she was diagnosed with cancer. She left work to have treatment. Nothing seemed to work, and as a last resort she was sent to Boston for a new treatment that was available. Everyone at work was so touched by her courageous battle; we raised $5,500 so her hubby could go with her and not have to worry about the financial stress of staying with her in Boston for two weeks.

Sadly the treatment did not work. She is in the hospital now, yesterday they told her that the cancer had spread to her brain. Her time here with us grows short. Her three year battle is almost over.

I wonder if she has any idea how many lives she has touched though this journey?

No comments: