Thursday, May 10, 2007

Reincarnation?

My daughter came to me last night while I was in the kitchen cleaning up after dinner. I knew something was on her mind because she started to help me! So I started asking her about her day at school. Suddenly she stopped looked at me and asked me “Mom, after we die do we keep coming back to life?” At first I wasn’t sure what she meant because she is only eight. Then I realized what she was asking. I asked her if she meant reincarnation. She said yes that’s the word. This is one of those times a parent has to stop and think about how to answer a question. Especially when you have been raised a Roman Catholic and your child goes to a Roman Catholic school LOL.

I took a deep breath (heard a priest tell me I was going to hell) and then replied that I thought it was very possible that we do come back but only if we want to, because God has given us free will. Then she said but the Bible says we only have one life. (Now I’m going to hell on the express bus!) I told her that just because it’s written in a book doesn’t make it true and that no one really knows what happens in the next life except for God and those that have gone before us. So it’s good to ask questions and not just accept everything we read to be truth.

From here she went off in a different direction asking about religion.

HELL HELL HELL – ROCK RIDE THERE!

I told her that every religion believes it is the true religion and that people actually fight and kill each other over their beliefs. Her eyes got wide and she asked me if I was kidding. I told her I wasn’t. She told me that was the craziest thing she had ever heard. I smiled.

Kudos to my kid! LOL

No comments: