Friday, May 18, 2007

Miracles

Now by miracles I don’t mean an angel appearing from the sky to bring you a message from the creator himself. By miracles I mean everyday occurrences that make the world a nicer place. How often do we experience them and not know it? How often do we create them for another and not know it?

Last night I had to run to the variety store to buy a bag of milk because we were almost out and when you have four kids that’s not a good thing LOL. I purchased the milk and then asked the clerk if I could trade in the handfuls of change in my pockets which had gotten ridiculously heavy for a bill. She needed the change in the till so I started counting what I had. As I counted I heard someone come in to purchase something. I didn’t see what it was nor did I care, but I did hear the clerk say it would cost $3.62. The woman was struggling with the change in her hand and I heard her say “ugg I think I am going to be short” to which I instinctively replied “No your not” and tossed a 1 dollar coin in her hand. Now I didn’t do this because I wanted to be thanked I did it because that’s who I am. I did it without thinking and carried on counting the overflow of change in my hand. The woman paid for her purchase, thanked me and handed me back 50 cents which coincidently was the exact amount I need to make enough change for a $5 bill. Now what struck me about this was not the look on the woman’s face who I game the money too but the look on the clerks face. She had this look on her face that said “I can’t believe you just did that.” I pointed to the counter where I had piled 5 stacks of coins and told her there was 5 dollars there and she handed me a bill. She didn’t even count the piles of change on the counter! LOL

What struck me as interesting was that I was in the right place at the right time to help someone else and you know what… it felt good. Yes it was something very small… but that’s all it needed to be.

How often do we have the opportunity to help another and let the moment pass? Why does it have to be a “this is mine, get your own” society? Personally I think we could all use a little miracle now and then and I would not hesitate to help someone out again. No matter how big or how small, each and every one of us can make a difference for another.

No comments: